Holiday Decorating Tips To Keep Your Property Safe
The holidays are here and it is time to celebrate by getting in the holiday spirit with decorating your property. As holiday decorations can bring loads of happiness and cheer, they can also bring costly disasters if not done safely. A few tips to remember to keep your property safe and keep the holiday spirit going are:
Ensure that you keep all your walkways free from obstructions and make sure that no Christmas trees or holiday lights block any doorways or exists.
Adding a few strands of holiday lights around can be a festive way to brighten your property, however; it is important to inspect all electrical cords and lights for frayed or loose wires and avoid overloading electrical outlets.
Choose decorations that are made of fire retardant materials.
Avoid using decorations that have an open flame and never hang decorations from fire sprinklers.
Some of you may think, who in their right mind would not realize some of these suggestions, but each year approximately 1,300 people are treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries related to improper installation and use of holiday decorations and lighting. Christmas tree related fires cost an average of $20 million in property loss and damage each year.
Keep your property festive and safe and know that SERVPRO of Joliet is there for you 24/7 even during the holiday season if needed. Call 815-436-5735.
SERVPRO of Joliet - Faster to Any Disaster
Commercial Water Job
SERVPRO of Joliet provides 24-hour fire and water damage restoration service in Joliet, Crest Hill and Romeoville.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Joliet provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Joliet arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 815-436-5735
Biohazard Cleanups Need a Specialist
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO of Joliet offers fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup and restoration services to both residential and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health issues for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of Joliet professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, we help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and businesses. Our biohazard professionals have had special training to help with the following:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Methamphetamine Labs
- Crime Scene Residues
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
If you or your business is in need of a biohazard cleanup, give SERVPRO of Joliet a call at 815-436-5735.
Tips to Prepare Your Home for Winter Ice Storms
Winter is once again coming and along with it comes one of your home's worst enemies; ice dams. Ice dams are continuous chunks of ice that form along the edges of your roof. During the warmer parts of a winter day, water melting off the roof pools behind the ice and then seeps back up under the shingles; causing damage to the interior of your home. To try and prevent ice dams, you have a few options:
- Make sure all gutters and downspouts are cleared of trapped leaves and debris.
- Being very careful, try to remove the snow off your roof after a heavy snowfall with a snow rake or call in a professional who can provide that type of service. Usually this can only be done on a single story home.
- Make sure that your attic is properly insulated and vented. Building codes require 12' to 14" of insulation.
- The next time you re-roof, run a special adhesive ice-and-water barrier 3" to 6" up the roof from the edge. It can be rather expensive but can save you money in the long run.
- Have heat cables installed on the edge of your roof where ice usually dams up.
As hard as we try to control some of the things that mother nature throws at us, it doesn't always work out. If you suspect you may have damage to your home due to ice damming or any other cause, give SERVPRO of Joliet a call at 815-436-5735 and we will send our trained professionals to help you with your problem.
How to Prevent Your Pipes From Freezing
A water pipe burst due to no heat on while homeowner was gone and caused damage and mold through the entire house.
As temperatures plummet, the risk of your pipes freezing and bursting goes up. Burst pipes are one of the most common causes of property damage and can cause thousands of dollars in water damage according to the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety. With the costs of utilities going up these days, water and heat conservation is at the top of everyones list, however; think about the cost to repair your home if a pipe should burst.
The pipes most at risk are those located in unheated interior spaces such as basements, attics, and garages and especially pipes running through cabinets and exterior walls.
Here are some steps to take to prevent frozen pipes:
- Installing pipe insulation (about .50 per linear foot) to vulnerable pipes.
- Keep garage doors closed especially if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Let the cold water drip from the faucet, even a trickle can prevent the pipe from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and night.
- If you are planning to be away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home no lower than 55 degrees.
- For long term, add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces to maintain warmer temperatures. Also seal cracks to prevent drafts.
Following up on a couple of these tips could mean the difference between dollars and thousands of dollars. If you have an issue with a leaky or burst pipe, call SERVPRO of Joliet at 815-436-5735. We are there for you 24/7. Let us make it "Like it never even happened".
Turkey Frying Safety Tips
If you plan to deep fry your holiday bird, be sure you know how to safely use the fryer, and take these precautions to protect yourself, your guests and your home.
- Fryers should always be used outdoors on a solid level surface a safe distance from buildings and flammable materials.
- Never use a fryer on wooden deck or enclosed space.
- Purchase a fryer with temperature controls and watch the oil temperature carefully.
- Make sure the bird is completely thawed before it is placed in the fryer.
- Do not overfill the fryer.
- Choose a bird no heavier than 12 lbs.
- Never leave a fryer unattended.
- Never let children or pets near the fryer.
- Use well insulated pot holders or oven mitts and wear long sleeves and safety goggles to protect from splatter.
- Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby.
- Once finished, carefully remove the pot from the burner, place it on a level surface and cover to let the oil cool overnight before disposing.
By following the above tips, you can have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving. Everyone at SERVPRO of Joliet would like to wish you and your family a "HAPPY THANKSGIVING".
Mold vs. Mildew?
Mold and mildew both have a few matching characteristics. Both thrive on moist, warm areas and can grow on a multitude of surfaces, from food, to your shower to a sheet of paper, and of course they are both two types of fungi that no homeowner likes to see in their home.
However; mold and mildew also have striking differences when it comes to size, color a and texture
Mildew is a surface fungi that can easily be identified as a patch of gray or white fungus that is on the surface of a moist area. Mildew can be easily treated with a store bought cleaner and scrub brush.
Mold, on the other hand, can be black or green and is often the result of a much larger infestation. This type of fungus can appear as almost fuzzy and even slimy in nature. Toxic molds can be harmful to both humans and ecosystems.
The key to treating mold and mildew is to remove it as soon as possible before it has a chance to do permanent damage to your home.
If you think you may has a mold issue, call the mold removal professionals at SERVPRO of Joliet at 815-436-5735.
SERVPRO of Joliet knows timely mitigation is the key to reducing severity and recovery of damaged items especially when it comes to paper goods. Water or smoke damaged paper can deteriorate rapidly. Without proper handling, valuable files and irreplaceable documents could be lost forever.
Let SERVPRO'S Document Restoration Team help you recover your damaged paper goods before it's too late. Our technicians are trained to use the most advanced technology available as the Library of Congress uses to dry water damaged books.
Vacuum freeze drying is the most efficient and effective way to salvage water damaged documents. This process can recover even the most delicate items, from documents to photographs and x-rays to entire business archives. Your documents will be protected with the utmost care and privacy to keep your documents safe.
For further information, please call SERVPRO of Joliet at 815-436-5735.
Is Your Property Ready for Winter?
Cold weather can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not ready for it. Heavy rain, freezing temperatures, damaging winds, sleet, or snow can cause serious and costly property damage. To prevent costly damages, consider the information below:
- Check your property for weakened and over grown tree limbs and branches. Wind, heavy rain, ice and snow can cause serious damage to both the property and individuals.
- Roofs, water pipes and gutters should all be inspected and in good working condition to avoid ice damming which can lead to exterior and interior damage.
- Inspect walkways and parking lots for proper drainage to avoid slippery areas.
- Inspect water pipes to make sure they are properly insulated to avoid freezing and breaking.
- Ask SERVPRO of Joliet 815-436-5735 about completing an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) for your business. The ERP is a no cost assessment of your facility and provides you with a plan to get back in business fast following a disaster.
When winter weather strikes, call SERVPRO of Joliet Franchise Professionals to strike back.
Preparedness for Pets
After Hurricane Katrina it was estimated that over 15,500 animals were ultimately rescued. Of the 15,500, only 15-20% were reunited with their owners.
Pets are just as important as any family member to most people so make them part of your preparedness planning. Several things that you can do to make sure they stay safe during an emergency are:
Build a Pet Emergency Kit
- Food - At least a three day supply in an airtight, waterproof container.
- Water - At least a three day supply.
- Medicines and medical records
- Important documents - such as registration, adoption and vaccination papers.
- First Aid Kit
- Collar or harness with ID tag, rabies, tag and leash
- Crate or pet carrier - Have a sturdy, safe crate or carrier in case you need to evacuate. There should be enough space for the pet to stand, lie down or turn around in.
- Sanitation - Pet litter and litter box, newspapers, paper towels, plastic trash bags, and antibacterial wipes.
- Picture of you and your pet together - If you become separated, the photo will help as documentation of ownership and help others to assist you.
- Familiar items - Not only is this a traumatic time for, but also for your pet. By having some items such as treats, toys and bedding make help alleviate stress on your pet.
Most important of all is to include your pet in your evacuation plans and don't leave them behind where they can be lost or injured. It is very important to have your pet micro chipped. In the event that you do get separated from your pet, it will be much easier for the animal to be traced back to it's owner.
For more information visit ready.gov/animals and remember that SERVPRO of Joliet 815-436-5735 knows that not only are your personal items important to you but so are your family pets. Keep them safe and be prepared!