A basement can flood at any time, but flooding often happens during heavy rainfall. And in our area we get plenty of rain during our spring storm season. Basements are prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a house and are built below ground level. Water runs from high to low ground and unfortunately straight into your basement. Excessive rain in a short period of time can saturate the earth around your basement and push through foundation cracks. THIS is when you call SERVPRO of Joliet. 815-436-5735. We can answer any questions you have and get our highly trained technicians out to you right away!
Ask The Experts: Do I need a professional to help clean up commercial water damage?
Dealing with a flooded company is never something a business owner wants. Unfortunately, many businesses will eventually experience some kind of water loss, whether a broken pipe, leaking roof, or storm-related event. Fortunately, business owners don’t have to go it alone. A water remediation and restoration professional will have the latest knowledge, equipment, and techniques to get your business back to “Like it never even happened.”
Water damage is never a simple situation. Restoring it back to its former glory requires different methods for different materials. Every structure has many porous and nonporous materials, all of which require their own methods for cleaning. In some cases, drywall or carpeting will need to be removed and replaced. In many cases, much more can be saved. An expert will do the following to help you minimize your loss.
- Inspect and assess the damage
- Extract water
- Dry and dehumidify affected areas
- Clean, sanitize and deodorize, including odor removal from air
- Restore structural components
Along with restoring the structural integrity of your flooded company, a certified professional is trained to salvage as much affected content as possible. From furniture to documents and equipment, they use an array of advanced techniques to clean items on-and off-site. These methods include:
Dry Cleaning – Best for minimal residue or pre-treatment before wet cleaning Used for cleaning light
Wet Cleaning – Method for the removal of heavy residues
Spray Cleaning – A solution safe for items too delicate for wet cleaning.
Foam Cleaning – Ideal for textiles that can be wet cleaned.
Abrasive Cleaning – Used for heavily soiled areas.
Immersion Cleaning – Items are dipped in an industrial solution.
When faced with a flooded company, getting back to normal can seem like something that will never happen. By finding the right help that adheres to industry standards and uses innovative equipment and techniques, you can get your business back to normal faster.
So give us a call! We are faster to any disaster and are here to help get you back to "Like it never even happened."
How To Use IICRC Classifications To Assess Flood Damage
If you have endured flood damage to your Joliet home – SERVPRO can help you. We are an experienced flood damage restoration and repair team, with access to sophisticated tools and the finest equipment. If your property needs saving, we are the right choice. The first that thing we do, once we arrive on site, is to conduct a full inspection. This is designed to help us determine the extent and nature of the damage. The IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) categories flood damage according to four key classifications. The SERVPRO technicians will use this guide to shape their plan of action and decide which repairs are required.
Here is some more information on the IICRC classifications and what they might mean for your property.
Class One: Limited Intrusion
This is the least severe type of flood damage. A small amount of water has entered the home. There is minimal damage to walls and soft furnishings. Depending on the size, shape, and location of the affected space, large fans can likely be used to dry it out.
Class Two: Intrusion With Some Spread
Here, flood water has started to spread. If your house was impacted by a storm, the damage is almost going to have advanced beyond small pools of water. It may have risen into the walls and started to soak into timber, concrete, and insulation materials. The water has reached the subflooring beneath carpets. Industrial drying machines (and carpet lifters) will be brought in to absorb the excess moisture.
Class Three: Invasive Liquid
The walls, ceilings, soft furnishings, and floors are all damp and need to be dried quickly. Most are fully saturated with water. Water lines on the walls extend more than two feet above the floor. This tends to occur when ceilings leak (during heavy rainfall), and water seeps through the walls. Dehumidifiers and dryers can be used to restore the home, but some materials may be unsalvageable.
Class Four: Severe Invasion
In the most severe cases, objects not usually affected by flooding have been compromised. For instance, paintings high up on walls, attics (if the danger is from natural flooding), and crawlspaces. At SERVPRO, we’re committed to saving as many of your possessions as possible, but extensive damage can render some items irreparable. We will, however, inform you of the fact before disposing of any materials. Serious flood damage may require you to move out of the property while we secure its structural safety and install heavy duty drying machines.
Whether your home has been damaged by a storm or by something more familiar, like a burst pipe, assessing the damage is an important part of formulating a response. SERVPRO of Joliet is a locally based service, which means that our response is always fast.
What To Do If Water Damage Occurs
Drying Process in Place
Step 1 – Stop the Water, if possible
Step 2 -- Call SERVPRO of Joliet at 815-436-5735
We will ask for:
- Your name.
- Address (please let us know if your mailing address is different than the property address).
- Telephone numbers.
- How did you hear about us?
- What type of damage occurred (water, fire, etc) and what caused the loss?
- How many rooms are affected and the type of flooring in the affected rooms?
- Is your home on a concrete slab, crawlspace, or basement?
- Year your home was built.
- We will ask what company your homeowners’ insurance is with. If you have a claim number and / or adjuster information already (if not, no worries).
- What your deductible amount is?
- The deductible is the amount you pay before insurance starts to pay. We generally collect this amount at the start of service, but this can vary depending on the insurance company.
Step 3 – Call A Plumber, if needed
Step 4 – Call Your Insurance Company
In order to get things under way quickly, contact the Claims number for your insurance company. They will ask for some information about the loss and what damages there are. If you’re unsure what your deductible amount is, they will be able to tell you. If they assign a claim number and / or adjuster, please take that information down and give it to us. Tell them you have SERVPRO of Joliet is on the way. Some people like to speak to their agent, which is fine, but the agent isn’t typically available at all times and many times there’s a delay before the agent has some time to file the claim.
We will extract the water and move any necessary contents when we get there. Just keep yourself safe, it's very easy to be injured during a water damage situation.
We Do Commercial Cleaning
Commercial Building Cleaning Services
When the dirt, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, you need SERVPRO of Joliet. You can depend on us to get the job done right and get it done quickly. Our highly trained technicians use top-of-the-line equipment to make your business shine again.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned: Our new defensive pathogen cleaning program, goes way beyond standard janitorial cleaning practices. This is proactive viral pathogen cleaning. With over 50 years of experience in biochemical spill remediation and decontamination, you can trust SERVPRO of Joliet Professionals to bring a higher standard of clean to the places we gather.
All of our cleanup practices are in accordance with the guidelines provided by the CDC and local authorities. SERVPRO of Joliet offers proactive disinfecting to help minimize the spread of viruses such as COVID-19.
Document Restoration: In the aftermath of a disaster, some of your most valued contents could be lost forever. As a leader in the restoration industry, we know that timely mitigation is the key to recovering damaged possessions. With years of experience and state-of-the-art technology, our restoration professionals will help you recover your paper goods before it’s too late.
Vandalism: Vandalism and graffiti can be very upsetting. It can range from relatively minor pranks to malicious destruction of property. Often simple acts of vandalism, like breaking a window, can cause significant water and mold damage if not addressed in a timely manner.
Learn more about our commercial cleaning services by contacting us at 815-436-5735.
What about Lightning?
During a storm, a lot of things have the potential to cause some pretty serious damage.
Besides wind driven rain, a few other things can play a role.
Today, let’s talk lightning!
Some people think lightning never strikes the same place twice. However, lightning often strikes the same place twice, especially if it’s a tall, pointed object. Reportedly, the Empire State Building is struck nearly 25 times a year!
It is also believed that lightning only poses a threat when it is cloudy or raining. The truth is lightning often strikes more than three miles outside of a storm and has been known to travel as far as ten to fifteen miles before it even strikes the ground.
Many people are confused by the term “heat lightning” and think it only occurs as a result of a very hot summer day. The term “heat lightning” is used to describe lightning from a thunderstorm too far away to be heard.
Lightning can be scary and has the ability to do more than just make a loud noise. Keep SERVPRO of Joliet in mind the next time a storm comes your way!
Proven Experience for Your Fire or Smoke Damage
After a fire or smoke damage at your home or business, trust the restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Joliet, IL in to return your property to its preloss condition. We have a proven system to not only restore your property but to make the process as stress-free as possible for you.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
The restoration process begins when you call our office at 815-436-5735, which is answered 24 hours a day. We will ask a series of questions regarding the fire damage event that will help us make a plan of action for your situation.
Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
Our restoration professionals will carefully inspect and test adjoining rooms of your property to determine the extent of the fire, smoke, and soot damage. This step is crucial to developing a plan of action.
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service
Fire damage can often compromise windows, walls, and roofs. To maintain security and to protect against further damage, our technicians can board up missing windows and walls and place tarps on damaged roofs.
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes the majority of the water. We will then use dehumidifiers and air movers to remove the remaining water and complete the drying process.
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
Our trained professionals use specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, and other surfaces.
Step 6: Cleaning and Sanitizing
We will clean all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to restore your belongings to pre-fire condition. We will also remove odors using industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment.
Step 7: Restoration
Restoration is the final step—getting your home or business to its pre-fire condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
We understand that when faced with a recent fire or water damage, you need help quickly. You can trust the expertise and experience of SERVPRO of Joliet to get the job done right and make your property "Like it never even happened."
Fire Extinguisher Readiness
It’s also a great time to review your fire extinguisher knowledge.
- Do you have a fire extinguisher? Do you know where it is?
- Do you know when your fire extinguisher expires? “You can tell the difference between the two by the head; a rechargeable extinguisher has a metal head with a gauge that reads Charge/Recharge, and a disposable extinguisher has a plastic head with a gauge that reads Full/Empty.”
- Do you know how to use your fire extinguisher? The time to read the instructions is not when you reach for it in an emergency.
You should always familiarize yourself with the instructions for your specific extinguisher, but there arefour basic steps to follow with a standard foam model. You can remember them with the acronym PASS:
- P—Pull the pin on the fire extinguisher.
- A—Aim the nozzle or hose at the base of the fire. Keep a safe distance away.
- S—Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing materials.
- S—Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
Continue directing the foam at the base of the fire until it is completely extinguished.
If you have experienced fire damage, call SERVPRO ofJoliet to find out how we can help you make it “Like it never even happened.”
Important Fire Safety Tips
According to statistical data from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), in 2012 an estimated 1,375,500 res were responded to in the United States. These blazes caused 2,855 deaths and 16,500 civilian injuries while costing more than $12.4 billion in damage.
Though some fires are unavoidable acts of nature or unpredictable accidents, many fires in the home and workplace are avoidable. The following tips, courtesy of the NFPA, can help reduce the likelihood of a fire in your business or home.
1. Watch your cooking - Stay in the kitchen if you are frying, grilling or broiling food. Never allow young children around the stove or oven, especially if they are not closely attended.
2. Give space heaters space - Keep space heaters at least three feet from anything that can burn.
3. Smoke outside - If you must smoke inside, have a sturdy, deep ashtray. Never smoke in bed.
4. Keep matches and lighters out of reach - Keep matches and lighters in high cabinets, preferably under a child lock.
5. Inspect electrical cords - Replace cords that are cracked, damaged, have broken plugs or have loose connections.
6. Be careful when using candles - Keep candles at least one foot from anything that can burn. Blow them out before you leave the room or go to sleep.
7. Have a fire escape plan - Make a fire escape plan and practice it at least twice a year.
8. Install smoke alarms - Install alarms on every level of your of ooffice or home and inside bedrooms. Interconnect them so they all sound at once.
9. Test smoke alarms - Test alarms once per month. Replace batteries once per year or as needed.
10. Install sprinklers - Sprinklers can help maintain and sometimes even extinguish fires, giving your local fire department a better chance of saving your property.
And always remember SERVPRO of Joliet is available 24/7. 815-436-5735
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard—you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills— always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult—Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean—Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify—Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help —24 hours a day, seven days a week—until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Joliet today at 815-436-5735 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.