Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Joliet
Thunderstorms are common in the summer months. Our local team in Joliet responds to storm damage emergencies every year and offers these thunderstorm safety tips from the American Red Cross:
Severe Thunderstorm Watch - Severe thunderstorms are possible in and near the watch area. Stay informed and be ready to act if a severe thunderstorm warning is issued.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning - Severe weather has been reported by spotters or indicated by radar. Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property.
- Learn about your local community’s emergency warning system for severe thunderstorms
- Discuss thunderstorm safety and lightning safety with everyone in the building
- Pick a safe place in for people to gather during a thunderstorm. This should be away from windows, skylights, and glass doors that could be broken by strong winds or hail.
- Make a list of items to bring inside in the event of a severe thunderstorm
- Make trees and shrubbery more wind resistant by keeping them trimmed and removing damaged branches
- Consult your local fire department if you are considering installing lightning rods
- Get trained in first aid and learn how to respond to emergencies