Fires are Preventable
When it comes to your property, certain safety precautions can be taken to help prevent fires. below are some tips that can help you to prevent a fire.
Electrical and Appliances Safety
- Replace frayed and old worn electrical cords on appliances. Also make sure all extension cords are in good working condition and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
- If an appliance has a three prong plug, use it only in a three slot outlet. Never force it into a two slot outlet or extension cord.
- Immediately shut off light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker and have replaced by a trained professional.
Fireplaces ans Woodstoves
- Inspect and clean woodstove pipes and chimneys annually and check for damage or obstructions monthly.
- Always use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop a burning log from rolling out and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying embers.
- Make sure that the fire is completely out before leaving your home or going to bed.
For more fire safety tips, visit ready.org and if a fire should occur call SERVPRO of Joliet at 815-436-5735 and our trained professionals will make it "Like it never even happened."