So You Think You Might Have Mold?
Mold hidden under vinyl floor.
If you think you might have a mold problem, call SERVPRO of Joliet at 815-436-5735. A SERVPRO professional trained in mold remediation will be available to examine the structure for any visible signs of mold and evaluate the cost of the remediation and restoration needed. In some cases, mold may not be visible but still may be present.
Additional assistance may be required by an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional with specialized equipment to detect hidden mold. They evaluate the quality of the air inside a structure. Using various testing devices, they collect air and surface samples to compare the indoor spore count to the outdoor environment. We can assist you in finding an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional if needed.
Whether you have had a visual or air sample test done, remember that SERVPRO of Joliet is always there to handle your mold remediation and restoration in a professional and safe manner.
Please keep in mind that SERVPRO does not interpret insurance policies or coverage; you must consult with your insurance company to determine if you are covered or not.
Warning Signs of Faulty Wiring or Electrical Systems
Electrical failure or malfunctions account for an estimated 34,000 home fires, on average, per year and result in roughly 440 deaths and $1.3 billion in direct property damage according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). This threat is higher in older homes built before the 1950's due to lower electrical wiring standards, however; even newer homes are at risk. Older homes were built to handle 30 amps of power, but most newer homes demand 100 to 200 amps. Listed below are some of the warning signs that may indicate an electrical problem in your home:
- Flickering or dimming lights.
- Switches or outlets that are hot to touch and/or give off a strong burnt rubber odor.
- Discolored cords, outlets and switch plates.
- Repeatedly blown fuses and tripped circuit breakers.
If you have any any of these, contact a licensed electrician immediately to examine and repair any electrical problems and if the need for fire restoration is required, we are there to make it "Like it never even happened". SERVPRO of Joliet, 815-436-5735.
Biohazard Cleanup Services
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies nationwide, SERVPRO of Joliet professionals offer fast, reliable biohazard cleanup and restoration services to residential and commercials properties.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can have serious health issues for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. Our professionals are trained to safely, effectively and discreetly remove biohazardous substances and prepare it for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations. Our services include:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Crime Scene and Suicides
- Infectious Diseases
- Urine and Feces
- Rodent Droppings
- Extensive Hoarding
- Sewage Backup
SERVPRO of Joliet can help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe properties and make a difficult or personal situation easier to handle. We are here for you in your time of need. Call 815-436-5735.
A Leaky Roof?
Finding a leak in your roof can be very difficult. Unfortunately you may not be aware of the leak until it has caused major damage to your home. This is why it is important to investigate and take care of any signs that a show up:
- Discolored spots on the ceiling or walls.
- Peeling paint or rotting wood around skylights.
- Finding shingles that have come off.
- Damaged or cracked flashing on your roof.
- Water dripping from the ceiling after a hard rain or heavy snow has melted.
- Formations of ice dams.
- Musty smell in your attic.
Remember to always put safety first when checking for a leaky roof or use a professional roofing service or general contractor to help you.
Also, remember to call your insurance agent to see if your roof leak is covered by your insurance company. Insurance companies may have stipulations on the cause of the roof damage and it may not be covered.
If a leak should occur, remember that SERVPRO of Joliet is there for you 24/7 to help with all your water restoration needs and to answer any questions you may have. Call 815-436-5735.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Mold Removal?
Don't be caught off guard after you already have a mold problem. Coverage varies from policy to policy, so read your policy carefully and if your have any questions, call your insurance agent. Some policies contain exclusions, stating they do not cover mold removal and others cover mold removal under certain circumstances. They may also cover the removal but not the testing itself.
If you think you might have a mold problem, call SERVPRO of Joliet at 815-436-5735. A professional trained in mold remediation will examine the structure for any visible signs of mold. If mold is found, you will be asked to approve and sign a work authorization form prior to any mold cleanup or related work being performed. The technician may also recommend you leave the affected area while the mold cleanup and associated containment process is being safely completed.
If a visual inspection does not reveal mold and you feel that you may still have a mold issue, we can recommend an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional with specialized equipment to access the situation.
"Remember, no mold is good mold!"
After the Storm?
This Spring and Summer has been quite a wet and stormy one and with that comes weather related injuries and fatalities. This is why it is important to educate both you and your family about post-storm safety.
Immediately after a storm where there was heavy rain, strong damaging winds, and lightening consider the following:
- Do not let children play near storm drains. Every year children are sucked into storm drains and carried away.
- Do not touch metal objects outside, there may be power lines down on the object which energizes the object. This could be a fence, guard rail, or baseball stop.
- Do not touch or pick up any wires that you see either laying on the ground or hanging low. They may be energized or could become energized at any time.
- Do not walk in flooded basements if your power is still connected. You could become electrocuted should water make contact with an electrical source.
- If your home is out of electrical power, use extra caution when using candles for light.
- Be careful using a gas powered generator which could cause Carbon Monoxide poisoning if not vented properly.
Please remember to keep you and your family safe and remember that SERVPRO of Joliet is always available to help you with your restoration needs. 815-436-5735.
Extreme Heat Safety Tips to Prepare Your Home
The Summer of 2018 has been an extremely warm one. There are things you can do to keep the heat out and the cool in, in your home.
- Install window air conditioners snugly: insulate if necessary.
- Check air-conditioning ducts for proper insulation.
- Install temporary window reflectors (for use between windows and drapes), such as aluminum foil covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside.
- Weather-strip doors and sills to keep cool are in.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon with drapes, shades, awning, or louvers. (Outdoor awnings or louvers can reduce the heat that enters a home by up to 80%.)
- Keep storm windows up all year.
Extreme heat is a serious danger. For more information on preparation and prevention, visit ready.gov or cdc.gov.
"Stay safe and be cool!" from SERVPRO of Joliet.
Small Leaks, Big Problems
Even the smallest of water leaks can cause a considerable amount of damage to your property. If left untreated, a leak can cause damage to your walls, flooring, ceiling, and cabinets and eventually lead to mold problems. Mold has the ability to grow within 48 hours. Those small leaks can also turn into a burst pipe, which then becomes a flood with major damage and costly repairs. A musty smell is also a sign of a possible water damage even if there are no visible water marks at that time.
The key is to keep an eye out for potential leaks by checking areas of your home where these leaks may occur.
- Walls and ceilings - looking for water marks.
- Warping or discoloration of flooring.
- Water valves under cabinets - look for puddles or water or stains on inside cabinet floor or walls.
- Showers with loose tiles - the walls could be damp behind the tiles.
- Toilets - around the base or by the water valve.
- Washer hoses - check for cracks and that the hose is secured properly.
- Dishwasher and refrigerator water lines.
- Outdoor water spigots.
A musty smell is also a sign of a possible water damage even if there are no visible water marks at that time.
"A musty smell is also a sign of a possible water damage even if there are no visible water marks at that time.
SERVPRO of Joliet has trained IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) technicians to help you evaluate the situation, perform the mitigation, and a construction crew to do the rebuild if needed. We can make it "Like it never even happened." Call 815-436-5735.
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"
For Mold Removal Call SERVPRO of Joliet
When there's a water damage, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business. SERVPRO of Joliet professionals have the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment to handle your mold problem. The following steps illustrate a "typical mold removal process.
- Inspection and damage assessment - your property will be inspected with technology designed to detect mold and hidden water sources.
- Mold containment - Containment procedures will be placed to prevent the spread of mold and isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure.
- Air filtration - Specialized filtration equipment such as air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums capture mold spores out of the air.
- Removing mold and Mold infested materials - Antifungal and antimicrobial treatments will be used to eliminate mold colonies and prevent new ones from forming.
- Cleaning contents and belongings - A variety of cleaning techniques are used to clean and sanitize your belongings and deodorization may be needed to remove odors.
- Restoration - Depending on the level of mold damage; drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may have to be removed and replaced.
To assure your mold problem will be resolved the best way possible, Call SERVPRO of Joliet at 815-436-5735.
What To Do Now To Prepare For A Flood
Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States.
- Know types of flood risks in your area. Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center https://msc.fema.gov/portal for information.
- Sign up for your community's warning system (EAS) The Emergency Alert System.
- If flash flooding is a risk in your location, monitor potential sign, such a heavy rain.
- Learn and practice evacuation routes, shelter plans,and flash flood response.
- Gather supplies in case you have to leave immediately or if services are cut off including medications, pet needs, batteries or and other critical equipment.
- Purchase or renew a flood insurance policy. It typically takes up to 30 days to go into effect. Get Flood coverage under the(NFIP) the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Keep important documents in a waterproof container. Create password protected digital copies.
- Protect your property by moving valuables to higher levels, declutter drains and gutters, install check valves and consider a sump pump with a battery.
Remember that SERVPRO of Joliet, 815-436-5735 is available 24/7 to help you if the need should arise.